Our goal is for all First Nations, Metis and Inuit to have full and equitable access to good health
We are a premier health care facility for Aboriginal people in Canada – internationally recognized for our innovative and successful approaches to wellness.
Wabano’s success is rooted in our philosophy that true health includes more than basic medical care – it incorporates the emotional, cultural and even the financial aspects of individuals and communities.
In 2013, Wabano opened a landmark building to enable us to better serve the growing urban Aboriginal population with after-school programs, crisis intervention initiatives and career training – while showcasing Aboriginal history, art and culture.
Your donations enables:
- Investments in the future of Aboriginal youth, women and seniors in our community
- Real change in a cycle of revolving poverty and unemployment within the Aboriginal community and the community at large
- Strengthen the local economy through training and education programs that will result in creating an entrepreneurial spirit
- A Centre of Excellence to share best practices for Aboriginal Healing across the country
Reality for Aboriginals in Canada today:
- Aboriginals in Canada have up to a 10 year shorter life expectancy
- Chronic disease rates are 3-5x higher than the national average
- 52% of Aboriginal children live in poverty
- Nearly half of the children in foster care are Aboriginal
- Suicide rates are 6x the national average
- In Ottawa, Aboriginals make up 5% of the population but 30% of the homeless
Wabano is reversing these trends. Each year, Wabano serves more than 10,000 people from Ottawa’s Aboriginal population through our health, social and cultural services. Our programs and services are vital to ensure:
- Aboriginal people have access to the care and support they need to be well.
- Our children can succeed in school.
- Our youth can explore new employment possibilities.
- Our moms can receive quality pre- and post-natal care.
- Generations to come will have a new foundation to build their lives on.
Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is committed to recognizing our major donors who have made our journey to success possible. For information on our corporate sponsorship and partnership programs please contact our Development Co-ordinator at (613) 748-0657 ext. 233, or email@example.com